Posted on Fri, 20 May 2022
Job title - Estate secretary and Bookkeeper
Location - Flexible working from home, attendance at Trustee meeting (in person) every 6 weeks at Weston’s Cider, Much Marcle, Ledbury, HR8 2NQ
Terms - Flexible part time work, between 10-20 hrs a month
Salary - £25 per hr
Requirements - Laptop provided.
About the Buchanan Trust
The Buchanan Trust is a charity set up to help those who have served in the Armed Forces, enabling them to transition into civilian lift by offering short term accommodation on the Bosbury Estate, accredited training, skills, work experience and employment opportunities in the rural and construction sectors.
The trust is managed by a Chairman and 5 Trustees all with different experience and some having a link to the Armed Forces. There is one salaried part- time member of staff who is the Veteran Support Manager (VSM) who is responsible for supporting the veterans living on the Estate and for identifying new veterans when accommodation becomes available.
About the role
The estate secretary role is to support the Trustees in all administrative areas of the Trust along with monthly reporting of income/expenditure and explaining differences to budget.
- Bookkeeping - input all invoices/receipts into “Business Manager” (aka Farm Plan) software. Gain approval from Trustees and set up all invoices to be paid online with CAF bank. Prepare monthly bank reconciliations and complete monthly VAT returns;
- Liaise with Hazelwoods (the Accountants) reference preparing year end accounts and assist with any queries;
- Completing monthly payroll duties using software package “Payroll Manager” for the VSM including managing pension contributions and payments to HMRC;
- Preparing annual budgets on Excel and compare actual monthly figures and explain variances. Report these at the Trustee meeting;
- Support trustees and provide relevant documentation to support any funding applications;
- Support the VSM where necessary;
- Liaise with the Managing Agents regarding the properties they manage;
- Monitor rent receipts and keep trustees informed of any rent arrears;
- Prepare agenda and draft minutes for trustees after every meeting;
- Other duties will include liaising with utility providers as tenants change and as new properties are completed; and,
- Responding to day-to-day enquiries.
- At least 2 years experience of bookkeeping;
- Knowledge of software packages “Business Manager” and “Payroll Manager” preferred;
- Experience of Excel essential; and,
- Experience of fundraising would be beneficial.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 6th June 2022 with:
- Your CV; and,
- A one page covering letter stating why you would like this role and why you are qualified to deliver it.